AW: [Gambas-user] Installation problemsGambas 0.92 with Suse 8.1 KDE 3.03

Postmaster postmaster at ...419...
Thu Apr 15 17:23:59 CEST 2004

Dear Ron,
thank you for your immediate answer. I forgot to mention that I have already
tried Gambas 0.92a, so the problem must be in KDE. So I'll try to update
this, first. I don't like to change the whole system, because I was working
now a year to keep it in that stage for a runing VDR with a lot of extras.
I give you a note, when I am ready with upgrading.
Thanks Hans

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]Im Auftrag von ron
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. April 2004 17:04
An: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Betreff: Re: [Gambas-user] Installation problemsGambas 0.92 with Suse
8.1 KDE 3.03

On Thursday 15 April 2004 15:32, office wrote:
> Hi, I am not able to run the make command during installation. It ends
> after a minute with the following messages. All libs and files are
> installed (I think so, I am not a Linux-Programmer, just want to be one)
>
> The problem file exist under /usr/local/src/kdevelop-3.0.2/editors/qeditor
>
> echo $PATH is:

/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R
>6

/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/opt/kde2/bin:/usr/local/
>k de/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/gnome/bin
>
> Output of make is:
> Making all in qt
> make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/gambas-0.92/src/lib/qt'
> Making all in editor
> make[5]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/gambas-0.92/src/lib/qt/editor'
> /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib//../bin/moc qeditor.h -o moc_qeditor.cpp
> /bin/sh ../../../../libtool --mode=compile
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../.. -I../../../../src/share
> -I/usr/li b/qt-3.0.5/include/ -D_REENTRANT    -g -O2 -pipe -Wall
> -fno-exceptions -g -O s -c moc_qeditor.cpp

Hi,

Your on the starting way. The curage to start is already a good point.
For your problem I will try to help you. Had myself also many as beginner.

The gambas version you try has a bug in it.
You should go first to http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
or http://gambas.sourceforge.net./download.html  and get the update.
The verion you need is 0.92a

Then you must know if you have the libraries and that the version is
correct.

On the website you can find a list in the "Importand notes" but
here a copy of it.
To compile Gambas, you must install the following packages on your system :

o)	The X11 development packages.
	The Qt 3 development packages.
	The KDE 3 development packages if you want to compile the KDE component.
	The PostgreSQL, MySQL or SQlite development packages if you want to compile
	database drivers.
	The libcurl development packages (version 7.10.7 or greater) if you want to
	compile de network-curl component.
	The SDL development packages if you want to compile the SDL component.

0)	Qt 3.1 is now required. Gambas do not compile anymore with older versions
	of Qt 3.0.

o)	Gambas does not compile with gcc 3.0.x. It seems that it is a bug of gcc.
	Use gcc 3.2 instead. (Note that there is a not yet resolved include file
	clash with gcc 2.9x).

This can be a problem for you current SuSE version 8.1.
If this is the case I can't help you how to change the version.
I had no luck on my system to upgrade it without recompile the most of my
system with it.

o)	You must have the right to write to /tmp, otherwise Gambas will not work.

This will be set by SuSE install but a verify is always a good point.

The problem you have at the moment is due a old QT version
I see  /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5 in you output of the make file.

May be first a upgrade of KDE can help you the best to start with
at ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.1/SuSE/ix86/8.1 is the newest
KDE3.2.1
and the required QT as v3.3.1 at the same place.
All together it is 175Mbyte
It is a big job but I'm afraid you will end here anyway.
I have just done myself  and will try to make notes what I do during the
upgrade.

On the KDE site you can find instructions how to do the upgade.
but as a short guide it goes as follows.

You should first upgrade QT,
than the KDE kdelibs3, kdebase3, arts
then you may start the rest, applications etc.

The reason is that if you upgrade QT to this version or QT 3.1 it is unsure
your current KDE 3.01 is still functional.
Then you must upgrade KDE and to what version? At the end you
will upgrade the current one 3.2.1 which is a bug fix of 3.2.0
(there are however some of 3.2.0 in the new 3.2.1 release)

When this all works you can go for the developer package you need
and then start to compile gambas again.

Sorry but it shows as a complete new system and I think that is.
The only other way left is Update SuSE to 8.2 (need 10 upgrades after it)
 or 9.0 (need a few after it) to be at the latest and can compile gambas.
or go for mandrake or gentoo while the are at install already on this level
you need.

See it as you have w95 but need at least w98 but it runs at best the only
one
you can get at the moment XP.

Ron