[Gambas-user] Article

Henri Girard girardhenri at ...67...
Tue Oct 21 05:30:29 CEST 2003

Hi guis :)
I am re "looking" at gambas...
Thanks again for all your improvments ..
(I should be unscribed but the web didn't work !! lol)
So I am supporting your efforts since few months that what convinced me to
look back to it !!
Cheers
HG
----- Original Message -----
From: "daniel" <danielcampos at ...277...>
To: <gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Article

El sáb, 18-10-2003 a las 17:41, Nelson Ferraz escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> Some weeks ago, Rob and I have started writing an article about Gambas:
>
> http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/Gambas/ArticleDevX
>
> I think the article is almost finished, although we still have to
> improve some parts, including the conclusion.
>
> I think it would be interesting to mention some of the new features that
> are expected for the next releases:
>
>     * A Network component
>     * A SDL component
>     * An object persistence system
>     * A report designer
>     * A Perl-like regular expression component

Well, about network component, it is stable enough to be called 'beta'
version, all least all the functionallity it has now:

- DNS client (well not really dns, it can access to hosts file, NIS,etc,
which is matter of operating system). It can work both in synchronous
and asynchronous mode, using threads. I put a little document about
threading in gambas at networking component source code.

- Socket Client : to start a TCP or UNIX socket connection.

- Socket Server : to serve on TCP or (UNIX, not yet) sockets.

- Datagram Client/Server : UDP sockets

- SerialPort : a class to manage serial devices (RS-232, etc...)

 This version is closed here. For future versions:

First, lets speak about two ideas, in which I was thinking, but that
I won't implement, at least for a lot of time:

- Ethernet socket : low level-socket... it is useful to create
sniffers, and things like this, but I don't want to spend time
creating so specific stuff.

- USB handler : I don't have a clear idea about USB interfaces, may be
in the future i'll learn more about that. There are serial controlers
for USB, something like RS-232 on a USB, I have to explore it the
future, it is very useful to communicate with commercial devices...

- Next step, will be a XML component (parser, reader, writer...). It
will be a different component that networking, based on libxml2, I have
some stuff written already, but it is nothing really useful (pre-alpha),
but networking and gbxml  will be used together in lot of cases:

=> Once XML is finished, I'm planning to create a HTTP client into
networking, at least for GET and POST methods, so, joining XML with
HTTP, Gambas users will have the base to call XML-RPC servers...

=> Next step, XML-RPC client as a component, user will not need to
create all stuff to manage connections with remote servers.

=> In that point Gambas will be useful, not noly to create RPC-XML
clients, but to create stand-alone servers (we already have a socket
server in networking), and cgi-servers (gambas can read standard input
and write in standard output)

=> Next, XML-RPC server.

=> Next ...

=> SOAP, quite similar to XML-RPC, but has a lot of work, it's very
complex

=> Persistence, serialization?

Regards,

Daniel Campos