[Gambas-user] Old problem.

daniel danielcampos at ...277...
Mon Nov 17 20:19:27 CET 2003

El lun, 17-11-2003 a las 06:51, Leo Barnhoorn escribió:
> Hallo Daniel,
>
> This text comes from a old messages you wrote on 03-09-2003.
>
> > (*) be careful if you are not "root" when using G2, as you will
> > be not able to used reserved ports 1-1024, and after using Stop()
> > you there will be some time in wich you can not use the same port
> > for listen again... Linux things
>
> This problem will araise when we use Server.Close, also whitin my program this
> problem will araise but when the Client Disconnect and the EVENT
> Client.Closed raised then i can stop and start the server and there is no
> problem.
> 		> there will be some time in wich you can not use the same port
> 		> for listen again... Linux things

This is as it is by design of Linux kernel: when you close a server and
some clients are still connected, kernel keeps alive the connection
for a time to let possible remote clients finish its work correctly. In
that time, you can not bind again the socket to the same port, with the
exception of root user.

> Is it possible to make something like Client.Closed but then for Server.Close,
> or is that not possible.

I don't know any way to ask the kernel to "forget" that connection :(,
however, if anybody knows how to do it, I would be very pleased
correcting that "bug"(?)

Regards,

Daniel Campos