[Gambas-user] gambas 0.71

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...2...
Sun Nov 2 11:30:52 CET 2003

Hi, Gambas users,

After a long period of two months, here is gambas 0.71.

There are many bug fixes in this version, and many incompatible changes in the
Key class and the Process class, so read the Changelog carefully !

The network component of Daniel Campos will be integrated in the next version.

Here is a list of the problems I want to fix before the 1.0 release:

1) Clean up the 'introspection' mechanism, i.e. the Symbol, Class and
Component classes.

2) Try to solve the problem with EXEC/SHELL ... WAIT that do not call the
event loop. This needs a GLibc function that exists, but that relies on a
missing Linux system call ! For those interested, type 'man pselect'.

3) Having a better image processing class: at the moment, you can access
pixels, replace colored pixels by transparent pixels, flip, stretch or rotate
an image. I'd like to have more powerful functions and a more beautiful
interface to this functions :-)

4) I'd like to be sure that gambas install and run correctly on all Linux
distributions, so don't hesitate to tell me when you can't do that with your
distribution, or when you can, so that I know. I have only a Mandrake 9.2 at
home, no VMWare yet !

5) At the moment, you need to call Conv$() to convert Desktop.Charset to
System.Charset, and it is boring. For example, if you type a file name with
non-ASCII characters in your source code, then it is stored as UTF-8
character. If you want to open this file with OPEN, you need to convert the
file name to System.Charset (ISO-8859-15 on my Mandrake) before. This is not
needed on systems like RedHat that use UTF-8 everywhere. Maybe I should
simulate UTF-8 file system internally in the interpreter, i.e. do the
conversion automatically ?

6) Integrating cleanly the Daniel Campos' network component.

7) Having an updated documentation on the Wiki made by Rob. I hope this will
come soon ;-)

And, of course, if you see other important points, tell them on this
mailing-list !

I have very little time at the moment, but I try to work on gambas as
frequently as possible. There is no many pending problems for the 1.0, so I'm
confident :-)

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...