[Gambas-user] Printing

Henri Girard girardhenri at ...67...
Tue May 27 21:48:53 CEST 2003

Doesn't compile with redhat 9... Though configure works...
did someone succeed ?
Qxxx _PTR error in the gambas 057

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoit Minisini" <gambas at ...2...>
To: <gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Printing

Le Mardi 27 Mai 2003 08:58, Radoslav Dejanovic a écrit :
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 04:35 am, Ken Schrock wrote:
> > >But perhaps we should wait for Gambas to get some maturity on Linux
> > > platform first, before migrating to other platforms?
> >
> > You mean wait until Gambas is big and ugly like VB 4.0 before it is
> > ported?
>
> No, I'd be happy if it could compile out of the box on my SuSE :))
> This is the first thing why we should consider Gambas immature at this
> point. While the language and underlying algorythms might be perfect, the
> fact that it doesn't compile out of the box is really bad thing. It
> prevents language from being included with distributions (SuSE has only
> some old release, perhaps because of building troubles?), and the rapid
> development stage (as is happening now) will prevent everyone but
> experienced programmer from giving it a try.
>
> So what we have here, as I see it, are two things: disability to compile
> out of the box, which is a bad, bad thing, and fast development, which is
> just great. But these two do make Gambas immature. The first step should
be
> to try to solve building showstoppers.

I agree with you.

I develop on Mandrake 9.1, so it is easy for me to make gambas working on
it.

For the other systems, SuSE sent me a SuSE 8.1 for free, so I could check
gambas on it, and I try to get RedHat when I can. I can't test on SuSE >
8.1.

The big problem is that Linux evolves quickly, and that the different
distributions do not hesitate to change many things between versions that
breaks gambas compilation process.

There is another problem in the dynamic library loader of Linux that seems
have problems with the way some libraries replaces symbols of other
libraries. For example, KDE as its own malloc() implementation. As gambas
loads QT and/or KDE by components, and not by using the linker, these bugs
arise ! And there are very fews applications like gambas that deals with qt
and/or kde this way.

Another problem is Trolltech that easily changes the internal of Qt at each
version without claiming it, and this breaks the gambas qt component.

The last problem is the NVIDIA Open-GL driver that is buggy, because it
cannot
be loaded as a shared library without crashing.

But don't worry, I think all these libraries and distributions will
stabilize
in the future.

Free software is an adventure.

--