[Gambas-user] Single Windows feature

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu May 22 04:58:43 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 15:20, Philip A. Chapman wrote:
> > 	i have another wish feature... Is possible to have an option in
> > preference dialog to Unified Gambas toolbar and windows like Visual Basic
> > i think in more simple to manage with laptop or little monitor.
> I would like to say that an MDI form option would be very nice.  For me, a

I agree.  One of my pet peeves about Linux tools is that they tend towards the
"lots of little windows" design (e.g. gimp, glade, many java tools, Visual
Tcl which I was desperate enough to try a couple years ago) and it gets
unmanageable pretty quickly and even though it's the same amount of
information being conveyed, I have yet to run into a Windows or Mac user who
doesn't fire up one of those tools for the first time and go "Ack!  Why does
it open so many windows?"

Visual BASIC 3.0 and earlier did the "bunch of little windows" thing, and
eventually they moved towards the MDI thing.  I know that just because VB is
one way doesn't mean it's the right way, but at this point even Linux IDE's
like kdevelop and qtdesigner are moving towards that style.  I don't even
know if Gambas' Qt bindings support MDI forms yet though, and I'm concerned
it could be a pretty serious rewrite for a fairly cosmetic feature so early
in Gambas' development.  Still, assuming MDI support is in there now, the IDE
is written in Gambas and we're all at least BASIC programmers here....

Rob