[Gambas-user] Gambas Wiki Translations

Inigo Zuluaga inigo at ...161...
Fri Jun 13 07:59:33 CEST 2003

It is possible?
http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/GambasEspanol/WebHome
(In Spanish)

Thanks

-----Mensaje original-----
De: gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]En nombre de Rob
Enviado el: jueves, 12 de junio de 2003 19:07
Para: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
CC: Stephan Gans
Asunto: [Gambas-user] Gambas Wiki Translations

Okay, now I have had offers of help in translating the Gambas Encyclopaedia
Wiki into French, German and Italian.  Thanks to all of you!

I have looked at other people's wikis and it appears that the way it is done
is to make new root webs which are copies of the original (in this case
English) version, called for example GambasFrançais, GambasDeutsch or
GambasItaliano, and then have the translators move through them translating.
It doesn't seem that there's any automated way to propagate additions from
the original version to the translated versions. Obviously, over time, some
things will end up being written in each language that don't end up getting
translated to other languages, and I think we're going to have to live with
that.

As recently as last night, I have run perl scripts on the wiki to remove
leftover formatting problems (stray * and _ marks, mostly) and add a table
of
contents to each of the component class pages, and while the wiki in general
is pretty clean now, it's certainly possible that someone would find
something that needs to be cleaned up across a large number of pages.

I should be able to do these things to the translated versions of the wiki
as
well, but when the next version of Gambas appears, I'm also going to be
rebuilding my script to import Benoit's class documentation into the wiki,
so
that it can be added automatically but users' additions (example code,
documentation of undocumented classes) will remain intact.  That will
require
changes to all the component class pages, and possibly some debugging.

So, here's what I have done.  I have set up the following webs but have not
linked them from the main web (since they're all in English:)

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/GambasDeutsch/WebHome

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/GambasFrancais/WebHome
(sorry, it seems TWiki can't handle webs named with the french "ç" in them)

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/GambasItaliano/WebHome

On each of the above wiki home pages, in the blue strip at the top next to
the
Gambas logo is a link to the name of the wiki.  If you click it, it will
give
you a list of pages in your language's wiki that are still in English.  I
did
this by added a "StillInEnglish" link to the bottom of every page; as you
translate each page you should remove it, and eventually get down to zero
pages left to be translated ;)

I've also created a GambasTest wiki in which I'm going to start
experimenting
with the automated class documentation to wiki filter (I'll need to write my
own Gambas program to do this since the way I did it initially was very
clumsy and not very automated.)  If I perfect it before you guys touch the
affected pages, I'll update them in your language's wiki as well.

There, I know that's a lot to put out there at once, but hopefully it'll be
help to you guys who would like a Wiki in your native language ;)

Rob