[Gambas-user] Debian

Ken Schrock kschrock at ...149...
Tue Jul 22 01:45:53 CEST 2003

Rob wrote:

>On Monday 21 July 2003 18:13, Ken Schrock wrote:
>

>>Has anyone ever gotten Gambas to compile and run properly
>>On Debian or any variant thereof (Lycoris, Lindows, Xandros)?
>>

>I don't know how well it works, but Lindows added Gambas to "Click-n-Run" some
>time ago.
>
>http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_details.php?id=9261
>
>Of course it looks like they're currently 8 versions back...

Yes, quite old, beside, there is much one can't do with a binary package
On top of that, since Gambas has a new version every 13 seconds
And it seems to be a source oriented package in any case
Not being able to compile it on ones distro of choice
Is kind of a pita

Also, this doesn't seem to be limited to the Deb line
(including distors like libranet on top of the others
 which includes a lot of distros and Linux users)
But tends to seem a general kind of thing
(like hard to impossible on SuSe, etc)

Adaptation of Gambas would be enhanced
If it didn't seem like a RedHat \ Mandrake only kind of thing
Particularly since Mandrake is currently in bankruptcy
And RedHat is moving away from the desktop

Not always using the bleeding edge versions of Qt and KDE
Which nobody currently has, increasing the pita factor
Would also help

OMHO