[Gambas-user] Re: Gambas and some questions

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...2...
Wed Jul 16 20:30:16 CEST 2003

Le Mercredi 16 Juillet 2003 09:57, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I try'd Gambas and have a real problem using the ColumnView. Is there an
> example available for this control? Showing the use of more columns, icons
> in the table and some handling issues (Adding, Deleting, Moving,
> Selecting)?

There is no example, but you can browse the IDE source code.

Here is how the ColumnView in the Project Properties dialog of the IDE is
intialized then filled :

' Initialise the clvLibrary ColumnView

  WITH clvLibrary

    .Columns.Count = 3 ' Three columns, the first has the number 0.
    .Columns[1].Text = ("Component")
    .Columns[1].Width = 100
    .Columns[2].Text = ("Description")

  END WITH

' Filling

  DIM sLib AS String
  DIM hComp AS CComponent
  DIM aRemove AS NEW String[]

  clvLibrary.Clear ' Clears the column view

  FOR EACH hComp IN CComponent.All

    sLib = CComponent.All.Key

    clvLibrary.Add(sLib, "", $hUncheck) ' Add an element

    clvLibrary[sLib][1] = sLib ' Modifies the text in the column #1
    clvLibrary[sLib][2] = hComp.Name ' Modifies the text in the column #2

  NEXT

...etc.

To manage items, you have an internal cursor represented by the Item property.

You can move this cursor by using the MoveXXX methods: MoveNext, MovePrevious,
MoveFirst, MoveLast, MoveChild, MoveParent, MoveTo. See the help browser for
more details.

> Some days ago I asked you for a Gambas-Forum. I found a Sourceforge-Program
> (wxBasic) with a forum that definitely costs nothing and is hostet on the
> sourceforge-webspace:
>
> http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/index.php
>
> Maybe you can do this for Gambas, too? So I can post programming-questions
> into the forum without bothering you. And I think there would be more
> information-exchange with a forum than a mailing-list.

You may be right, but, to be honest, I'm too busy to deal with it. If you can
open a forum for me, do it, it will be a great help for me !

It seems that the wxbasic forum is made in PHP. Is it a sourceforge feature,
or is it something they made themselves ?

> You told that a TCP/IP-or UDP-Protocoll-Control is on high priority. Do you
> know, when it will be usable?

No idea, I didn't start it yet ! You can spawn many 'curl' or 'wget' processes
to download things at the moment. I plan to make a SERVER component, that
will let people making TCP/IP or UDP servers the easiest possible !

> Do you plan to integrate a popup-list ov available methods for an object?
> It is really painfull, allways opening the help to look for a special
> method of an object. If I type ColumnView1. there should be a list of all
> available options. This would help Gambas very much to get closer to common
> IDE's. And there should be the possibility to press F1 over a keyword and
> then the help-window should open with this keyword in the search field.

You are right. But it is a little job to implement it, because the IDE needs
to analyze your code while you are typing it !

Automatic completion is a very coll feature. But by being compelled to browse
help, you learn Gambas more quickly ! ;-)

> I hope I don't irritate ...

No...

> Greetings,
>
> Volker