[Gambas-user] probably unreasonable requests

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jul 9 19:59:18 CEST 2003

So what are the chances that

(a) Gambas' parser could be tweaked such that rather than erroring out if you
try to refer to a class with an initial lowercase letter (the only
case-sensitive part of the language as far as I can see) it tries to evaluate
the reference as a symbol and if it fails, then check case insensitively
against the available classes?  (back in the commodore 64 BASIC days we used
to call this an "error wedge"... ;) )

(b) event handlers such as KeyPress could optionally not automatically call
the default event handler for the widget from which their class is derived?
For example, if you want to implement a custom copy and paste routine,
currently when the user types Ctl-V and your event handler does its thing,
after it's done the control which generated the event gets the contents of
the clipboard pasted to it again.  Or more simply, if you want to put
validation on a field such that a user is unable to type anything but digits,
currently it's impossible.  In VB, there's a ByRef "Cancel" parameter passed
to the event handler which obviously wouldn't work in Gambas, but a mechanism
to allow this would be nice.

(c) in combination with (b), is it possible for a form to receive events
before its child controls do?  I know Qt has the concept of an event filter
but I don't know how it would fit into Gambas' Qt component.

I know, these are probably all issues for after the stable release, but I
wanted to get them out there before I forgot.

Rob