[Gambas-user] gambas 0.60 Mandrake RPM's and a patch

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Jul 7 21:56:39 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 15:19, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> It seems you did not like my new blue arrows ? :-) You have put back the
> old icons in your patch !

Oops, the truth comes out, no, I didn't like them ;)  I think they're a step
backward in usability, with all the icons for all the functions on the form
being the same graphic.  And one of the things that actually drew me to
Gambas in the first place (circa 0.50) was what I saw as the welcome dialog's
professional looking design.

But I didn't mean to include my changes to the welcome form in my patch
because I felt it would be stepping on your toes.  I mean to start making
RPM's of an alternative version of the IDE with a different name so people
don't think it's official (essentially, my MDI version for VB5/6 fans once I
get something similar to docking working...) and I will probably still
include the old version of the welcome screen there, if not with your
existing icons for new/open/recent/quit then with the KDE Crystal
equivalents.  The RPM (at least the one I do for Mandrake) will still require
both gambas and gambas-gui to be installed and will likely only consist of an
executable and a readme - it will only be meant as a slightly more VB-ish
interface to the same features.

> I thought clearing the property dialog when no control is selected was...
> clearer to the user.

Except when they're trying to reference the contents of the property dialog
when they're editing their code... ;)  This isn't just some freaky usability
idea on my part, I actually had a couple VB users I've turned on to Gambas
ask me about it so I looked into fixing it.

If you'd rather I didn't distribute an executable called "gambas" with these
changes, I could release a new RPM without them and save the
non-dialog-related parts of my patch for when I put my alternative IDE out
there.  I really don't want to upset anyone with my "easy migration for VB
users" agenda.

Rob