[Gambas-user] Playing Midi files

Ken Schrock kschrock at ...149...
Sat Dec 6 06:29:04 CET 2003

One way would be to just use playmidi which is included with most distros

SHELL "playmidi somesong.mid"

However, midi is often not available in Linux because
A. Some of the real cheap built-in sound cards don't do midi
B. There seems to be a lot of alsa drivers that don't support midi

So a more reliable way is to use timidity, which does it in software
And is always avalable to the program if the user has a sound card

The disadvantages to this method are
A. you have to make timidity a dependency of your app
B. Timidity sucks a lot of CPU, which may be a problem in a game