[Gambas-user] LAST document example fails

R Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Sun Aug 31 19:14:45 CEST 2003

> Message: 8
> From: Rob <sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...>
> To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] LAST document example fails
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:40:55 -0400
>
> On Saturday 30 August 2003 15:17, R Onstenk wrote:
> > I think ther is a failure in the wiki doc for LAST.
>
> Fixed.  Feel free to fix things like that when you find them; if=20
> for some reason your fixes don't work, we can always back out of=20
> them ;)
>
> Rob

My pleasure Rob.

Ok, I stripped of the top part and the part below this message number 8 of
the mail.

Changed the subject to 'Re: ..... '
Let the To: as is.

I am using outlook98 so what it does in the background is unknown.
Ya ...98, I know but it is written in lowercase with reason but it
is a left over of my job where it was the default mail program.

Many people use a car to go to there job, I use a bike.
Problems? Try to find a parking place for your car.
But gets real, a car has more comfort. Thats the reason the use it.
Same is the matter for using *nix versus *indows, emacs versus joe,vim, etc.
and Gambas or Visual Tcl versus emacs to make your forms and appropiate code
bound to it. Close.

For fixes in the manual Rob, if I can help I will do but I am also
a bit realistic. Not all what I see as a bug or typing error is it.
For Gambas I am a newbie and have to read the manual more then
people already working for a longer time with it.
They know the right syntax in there mind and have already learned
how to make there code in a proper way.

If there are updates on the Gambas kernel then the manual
is not always updated for minor changes or it is forgotten.
That is the point where I can help for now. Detecting the inconsistent
parts between manual and executing/programming code and report it.
Not as a complain, even when it sounds that way, but as information.

As you knows array type variable uses [] for index. In VB it is ()
and you have in one of your answers on a question this kind of mistakes
also happens to you sometimes. Well I am a havy VBuser till now and
a newbie for Gambas so I did many of those mistakes automatic.

The same is when people write in other languages VB, PHP or assembly or
scripting as jscript or the *nix version as bash, sh, ksh,zsh and who
knows more (HTML/XML and variants).
There is a automatic typing learned in the past time for that language
and when you read the doc you will always find this things.
The complexity of the language determines how much this thing wil happen.

I prefer more the way the information is checked by Benoit or another
advanced user before I edit the world wide manual and when I make a
mistake everyone COMPLAIN against Gambas and Benoit.
I should deserve the right to edit by qualty of the information
instead of having the right anyway.

Secondly, if I can make an example to help other users the example
is running on my system (SuSE8.2, KDE3.1.1, OT3.1.1) and even if
the other user has the same, I found one in the list, the behaviour
and results are not always the same, he got other errors then I got.
So here a check is also appropiate behaviour I think.