[Gambas-user] Gambas fundation ?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Aug 6 18:05:54 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 11:47, Nelson Ferraz wrote:
> Make it easier to build packages, so users will be able to use standard
> tools like RPM and APT.

I've already packaged one Gambas app as an RPM (PVRec.)  I could write some
gambas code that generates a spec file for a given project so you could
possibly generate RPM's directly from Gambas (on RPM-based distributions) but
proper generation of RPM's requires (1) the user to be non-root (not a
problem, I assume most of us run Gambas as a normal user), (2) the user to
have his own RPM tree (and I could certainly create one if need be), and (3)
the user to have his .rpmmacros file set up with appropriate values.

Now, I could also make an "RPM wizard" in Gambas that would set up those files
and directories automatically, but then the question is whether that's beyond
the scope of a development environment.  I'm guessing it's not, because
Kdevelop has some similar options (which I never got to work, but hey, they
tried.)

Maybe I'll just do it, and submit a patch.... VB has "package and deployment
wizard" after all.... of course then we may hear from the Debian users
because I have no idea how to generate Debian packages, and then from the BSD
users because I have no idea how to create something suitable for the ports
system, etc....

One other cool thing I noticed (unrelated to packaging) is that OPIE 1.0
(stable release of a totally GPL'ed OS for Zaurus and other PDA's) has been
released, and uses Qt 3 for its desktop.  I haven't been brave enough to zap
my Zaurus with it to try porting Gambas, but the idea of being able to target
handhelds with Gambas gives me a little thrill ;)

Rob