[Gambas-user] Gambas fundation ?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Aug 5 17:02:59 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 10:58, Nelson Ferraz wrote:
> > > The most important: working full time on Gambas. :)
> > This is another problem !
> Perhaps we should start conversations with the Free Software Foundation,
> with distributions like Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, and companies that
> support Linux (IBM, HP, Dell, Oracle, etc.)

The FSF will want you to get everyone in the project to sign over their
copyright to the FSF.  While I think this is a good thing when the FSF is
involved, I have no idea how Gambas developers feel.  I also wonder if the
FSF guys will be biased against something as user friendly as Gambas ;)

Approaching one of the Linux vendors seems appealing too.  Lindows already
seems to be pushing (and using) Gambas quite a bit, though I don't know if
I'd want to hitch my wagon to Lindows' star.  Mandrake seems like the best
choice since two of the main Gambas developers are in France and Mandrake
favors ease of use, but they're in the middle of their own problems....

Anyway, the thought of a Linux VB killer has got to be exciting to some of
those companies you mention, though of course each of them has their own aims
that may or may not be compatible with Benoit's.  I'd say IBM would be the
best bet except they have their own currently unusable RAD tools based on
Mozilla, Java and what have you.  Dell's never been much for software in the
first place.  Oracle will be afraid of it because it already supports
Mysql/Postgres but not Oracle.  Still, there are a number of ways this could
be done....

Rob