[Gambas-devel] Fwd: Re: Gambas to Git(Lab) (Adrien Prokopowicz)

Fri Jul 28 18:03:37 CEST 2017

here i anwer the question made by Crist! and make some corrections to the
post of Adrien:

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:35:44 +0200

about that Adrien said:

> I took a bit of time to think about it, and I think the best workflow for
> developing Gambas would be the one that's described in the Git
> documentation[0] :
>
> - The master branch is the stable branch : it only contains the latest
> stable
>    release of gambas. (with tags to keep the previous releases).
> - A dev branch, for the development version. (the equivalent of the
> current trunk).
> - Various branches for work-in-progress features that are not ready at all
> (like gb.term.form)

its the most similar workflow, according to my git experience and svn
experience..
but please mantain a firm-name to the branches! like gb.xx.yy.dev

i mean added last word ".dev" at the end to enphasis the devel of that
componente, that due git can mantain history of the artifact..

the history of that branchs are important due must help to other developer
to see in the history how the problem are resolved in the time line..

> For bigger changes and experimental components we create a new branch from
> the dev branch,
> work on it, and then merge it back in the development branch when it's
> ready.

again in that case, the devel branch must named gambas3-devel and the
experimental gambas3-experimental

so gambas<X>-<type> where X are the mayor release, and tyope  the working
development branch type

> And when we want to release a new Gambas version, we just merge the
> development branch
> in master, and create a tag to mark the new release.

exactly!

> If we need to make a patch release for bugfixes in the meantime, we can
> just use the master
> branch to get back to the latest stable, and then make the fixes from
> there.
> If the fix is already done on the development version, we can cherry-pick
> it from the dev
> branch, and otherwise we can just make the fix on master (or on a
> temporary branch), and
> then merge master back into the development branch.

its almost like but works

but WAITH STILL NEED ENTION MERGE AND PULL PATCHES FROM USERS its important!
this anwers the question made by Cris, lest see:

> From: Christof Thalhofer <chrisml at ...757...>
>         <gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Gambas-devel] Fwd: Re: Gambas to Git(Lab)
>
> Hi,
> Assume, Gambas gets bigger and more important and somewhere in the
> future there exists a Gambas 3.20 in old distributions like Debian and
> Gambas 4.05 in current Ubuntu, each of these versions is "stable".
>
> Assume also there is a security breach introduced in Gambas 3.10 ;-)
>
> How would you insert a hotfix which would lead to stable 3.21 and stable
> 4.06 in your model? IMO ... that would be impossible.

but WAITH STILL NEED ENTION MERGE AND PULL PATCHES FROM USERS its important!

that feature are not present in the svn, due the svn are limited to
developers of the gambas repository.. how will be that?

well in github/gitlab, there's a feature that limits the pull request and
merge request to the already commiters!
users can request also joint to propose a pull reques..

if you guys dont do that, maybe the pull repo will be like the codeigniter
or like the owncloud, a large pull request of issues..