[Gambas-devel] Cannot populate database Connection.Name from ODBC driver.

Fri Aug 18 09:37:04 CEST 2017

hi zxMarce and other, i want to mark a WARNING here.. as i can see too
many experience with mososoft SQL and must be some notes about some
other scalar HIGH DBMS..

sybase DOES NOT NEED A DB NAME TO HAVE A CONNECTION !
be warning: its not like sqlite that a db "in memory" are present at
least, here theres no connection, in same way db2 and oracle...

<gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>:
> const char *new_value;
>
> GB.FreeString(&desc->name); // Free the Gambas string containing the old
> database name
>
> desc->name = GB.NewZeroString(new_value); // Create a new Gambas string from
> the zero-terminated string new_value, and store it.

its great that can be changed the connection db on the fly for the
module.. its mandatory..

ok ODBC need! a connection db name when Established, but its only with
UnixODBC.. there's more "special behaviours"

* in same "host connection name" there are also "same many db names"
that its not the same as "in same host are many db names served"

that strange behaviour are applied to oralce and sybase, that runs "a
instance" of the software for "one or more than" databases... in the
same host..

due that PROPIETARY ODBC SOFTWARE CAN OFFERS A CONNECTION TO GAMBAS
WITHOUT A DATABASE VALID STRUCTURE, or a "empty valid connection" in
conclusion.. or more rare as succed to me, a connection but the db are
not the spected (due UnixODBC freedts can connect to a one db per host
at same time, as all here knowed. but it not limited to in real ysbae
or oracle)