[Gambas-devel] GitLab - some observations and questions

Sun Aug 13 17:12:24 CEST 2017

> 1) I am pretty impressed with the Git/GitLab approach. I had an "experience" with Git a couple of
> years ago and hated it.  The GitLab site makes it so much easier. So +++
gitlab interface its the most feature rich!
unfortunatelly there's no good gui client like rapidsvn for git counterpart

> 2) An item of concern (to me) is the appears to be no road map for moving Gambas to Git.
Yeah maybe the roadmap was a feature Initiative and i think its not so
"critical" git (as i see from you) are more flexible rather than
subversion..

> Documentation!!! How can I help? I can write wiki stuff in the evenings to wind down.
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/markdown#t9
very consencus and clear, there's more but for start its enought until
When will the sourceforge repo disappear? Is there a disaster recovery
plan (should, say, the GitLab repo get corrupted)?

> 3) I use modified versions of the IDE, several components and some of the mainline gambas code.
> The reasons for this are arcane, for example my gb.db.postgres is modified to take advantage of
> postgresql features not supported in other rdbms' and the mods are therefore philosophically at odds
> with the gambas gb.db common interface approach, so they won't be committed. Since we (here)
> design in and use postgres ONLY(! corporate rule :-) this is fine for us.
I'm very interesting on your local patches..

>  To enable this, I have a local SVN repository cloned off the Sourceforge one and can adequately
in gitlab with a simple button called "fork" you can track the repository

and now best: with a simple configuration, that fork can update
automatically, and your changes can be in a specific branch,
inclusivelly you can made this into the main repository and gambas
developers can take advantage of your changes!

yeah, please take a read : http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/git#t3

> Then off that, I might have some other branches where I (me) can play with other changes while Felicity and my other developers can use a Gambas from "local"? Have I got the right idea? Is this feasible?

Please take in consideration that in git branches are "virtual references"

> 3b) Here's another example. I have a modified version of the FProperty class from the IDE that supports something I suggested a few years ago - "custom" property editors.  There are two reasons why it was not committed to the Sourceforge repo. a) Benoît did not like the idea at the time and b) I had to redesign most of the class code, mainly because I couldn't understand how the original works, which has resulted in a FProperty class that is completely different to the official one.  SVN/eSVN handles this fairly easily as the file is marked "Replaced" and no merging or anything is required (until someone changes the official version for some reason! Given that the last change was rev 7730, I live in hope.)  Can Git handle that situation?

can use the "Fork" button. o inclusive make a local git BARE copy and
upload as original

a fork its like a copy but with author change... and for AUTOMATIC
update to your repository use the integrate tab of thesettings.

to track use branches.. and mantain original branches to manage differences..

also the original master branch into your own a add a second remote to
your local copy, using this command

git remote add upstream https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas.git

thas are also writable but only in your copy..