[Gambas-devel] Gambas to Git(Lab)

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at ...176...
Sat Aug 12 09:49:18 CEST 2017

Le Sat, 12 Aug 2017 09:20:11 +0200, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> a écrit:

> Le 12/08/2017 à 09:17, Benoît Minisini a écrit :

Nice, thank you !

>>> Aow. It is already up to date?

Yes. I have a script running hourly on the playground's server to keep
it updated. :-)

>>  Now there is something I don't understand:
>>  - How can I make the 3.10.0 tag? From which branch?
>>  - Where are the branches of all stable versions? (3.10, 3.9, 3.8...)
>>
> Very strange: 3.10.0 tag is present in the "tags" section of the
> repository, but not when you pop down the list "switch branch/tag"...

It's there, but the list isn't sorted in natural order, so it's right after
the 3.1.0 version.

I didn't push the branches for the stable versions, since the tags have the
same purpose : you can switch to any tag, and create a branch from there if
you want to make changes to an older version.

(Actually, you can switch to any commit you want and create a branch from
there :
commits are kind of like ref-counted, and a tag is just a named reference
to a
commit).

However, if I missed something and there is something needed in these
branches,
I can push them back.

For tagging new releases, as we've discussed in previous messages, it's
all done
 from the "stable" branch : right now it contains the 3.10.0 version, you
can either
commit directly to it or cherry-pick commits from the master branch (i.e.
just take
specific commits instead of the whole branch, if you want only the
bugfixes to tag
a patch release, say 3.10.1).

You can also merge the master branch into stable, which will apply all the
commits the
stable branch didn't have, in order to tag a new release, say 3.11.

Once you're done and the stable branch contains what you want to release,
you just
have to create an annotated tag[0]. (Annotated tags have checksums and can
be signed,
unlike simple tags which are just pointers).
And then it's done. :-)

[0] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

--
Adrien Prokopowicz