[Gambas-devel] Creating a Control

John Leake jleake at ...741...
Tue Sep 9 16:18:45 CEST 2014

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the reply.  I am sorry but I do not understand the context
of your response.

> maybe, that can help you.

Sorry what can help me ?

> This project can install components, libraries, using links or copy
> files.

Do you mean the deb file ?

> I wrote that, because I use svn only, so I can't install gambas
> packages, claims gambas is not installed.

Sorry what did you write ?

> For me it worked.

Sorry again, what exactly worked ?

An Explanation of What I am trying to do
First of all this thread has wandered a little so I will try to clarify
for the benefit of all those interested. Initially I was struggling to
find out how to create controls by following the documentation (from a
complete Gambas newbie point of view).

My intention is to improve the user experience when creating Controls.
These are my own ideas and in no way are they criticisms of the existing
architecture.  If I am successful in my aims you can all be assured that
I will make it my highest priority to minimise if not  eliminate any
changes to the existing code base.

So to elaborate: If a user wishes to create a new type of control then
it is highly likely that the control will be based on existing controls.
 So as an example, if the new control contains a ToggleButton and the
way that ToggleButton is used in the new control is no different from
the original stock ToggleButton then the user should not be required to
write any code to implement the ToggleButton.

If this idea is extrapolated to its simplest form then a user should be
able to create a new ToggleButton by informing the IDE that this is a
new control and that the control is based on the stock ToggleButton and
that is all that needs to be done. After all what is the point of
inheritance if you have to add code just to get back the functionality
that was already there in the first place.

To achieve this goal I needed a new unadulterated toggle button project
to be used as my gold standard that has been written by someone who
knows what they are doing (thank you to Julio for this).  From there I
can write a new set of IDE dialogs (just in order to avoid messing with
the existing code base) that will spit out a project that is exactly
like my gold standard project.

And that is it !

Best regards,
John Leake