[Gambas-devel] Example project metadata

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jul 7 14:10:03 CEST 2013

Le 04/07/2013 11:43, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
>
> the last couple of days I implemented Fabien's approach[0] to better example
> projects - halfways.
>
> There is a patch to the IDE attached which changes the following:
>
> - Project.module: Add Niveau and Tags Public variables. An ".example" file
>    in the project directory makes a project an "example project". If it is
>    missing, it is not an example project. The data is written in
>    WriteProject() and read in ReadProject() - if the .example file exists;
> - FCreateProject: New "Example project" CheckBox in the "Options" and a new
>    wizard step to enter example Niveau and Tags. The project creator is
>    forced to write a project description here, too. If the CheckBox is
>    ticked, the ".example" file is created here;
> - FProjectProperties: CheckBox to make/unmake the project an "example"
>    project and a new TabPanel page to manipulate Niveau and Tags. Note that
>    this TabPanel page is only visible when the project is an example project.
>    That new page is not very populated - not to say it looks ugly. The
>    aforementioned CheckBox may also be misplaced but I didn't want to mess
>    around with the usual layout. Any ideas? Based on the value of the
>    CheckBox, the ".example" file is created or delete here.
>
> Please tell me what you don't like.
>
> What's missing?
>
> - Displaying the niveau and tags in FWelcome and FOpenProject;
> - Sorting examples by niveau;
> - Filtering by tags;
> - The gambasdoc.org page with official example guidelines (just a few notes
>    I planned).
>
> I couldn't get behind the sources of FWelcome and FOpenProject yet. Maybe a
> new control to display examples which is shared by the two forms suits
> better.
>
> As for the examples themselves, I have gone through 1/3 of them which I
> understand (this excludes, e.g. DBus, MySQLExample, ReportExample). Mainly I
> fixed these things:
>
> - Naming conventions;
> - Comments;
> - Style and educational things (based on MHO).
>
> We could also just leave things as-is and I just commit the overhauled
> examples and not the changes to the IDE if you think the IDE stuff could not
> be a good idea at all.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi
>
> [0] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30788433

I agree with adding Tags to examples, but I find the Level thing purely
subjective and useless. It can be replaced by specific tags.

I agree with adding Tags to all projects, even if it is used only with
example projects.

Maybe some tags should be predefined.

Don't use an '.example' file, put everything in the '.project'
configuration file.

I don't think it is useful to enter tags in the project creation dialog,
because you usually don't know exactly what they are at that point.

Then I will design a new example IDE interface. And you're right, the
code should be shared between FOpenProject and FWelcome through a common
form.

*But* I think the more important keeps working on the examples
themselves! :-)

Benoît Minisini