[Gambas-devel] gambas wiki db scheme

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...176...
Tue Sep 18 23:34:50 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> Le 18/09/2012 22:19, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :
>>
>> I like the idea as it unifies comment syntax. But is it viable to
>> convert the whole wiki? I believe you wrote (if not, you should do it
>> now) a module to convert old pages, is it 100% safe? (maybe compare
>> the html output to verify the success of each page).
>
> Nothing is wrote at the moment, except the markup -> HTML converter.
>
> Yes, maybe writing an old syntax -> new syntax converter would be the
> solution for porting the old wiki to the new one.
>
> To be useful for the wiki, the markup syntax must be extended with all
> the special commands of the old one (those beginning with '@').
>

>> If the rewrite is going to happen, i suggest an MVC approach,
>> currently, there are >5000 loc on a single file! Divide and conquer. I
>> was going to suggest a rewrite, but why change something that works?
>> The only downside is that adding a feature is really hard.
>
> That wiki was a QuickNDirty hack made with Gambas 1. And of course it is
> still there...
>

>> You should also be careful with the url pattern implemented now. To
>> the end user, *nothing* should change. I'm saying this mostly because
>> of search engines. Also note that the IDE uses a special url pattern
>> to display inline help and changing it would break previous versions.
>
> Mmm... Yes. But I think I can change the url pattern for editing pages
> and administrating the wiki.
>

>> Maybe we should discuss this on the irc channel.
>
> Alas I'm not an irc guy...
>

>> Anyway, if you need any help, let me know, i like the challenge ;)
>>

> If you have some time, you are strongly welcome. I think if I can finish
> the markup syntax, things would be easier for you.

Actually, the parsing could be done inside a module, input text with
markup > output html. So, if we start building the website now, this
module would just plug in really easily, so it's not a hard
requirement for now.

> I'd like the new wiki to be entirely based on one Gambas CGI script
> using the gb.web component and ASP-like pages. That way it will be a
> good demo for how to use that component.

I like the idea, but i think that the ASP rendering engine would need
a few changes. First, it should be possible to get the result without
it being printed. Second, i don't know if this currently exists, but
there should be a syntax declaration to include the content of another
webpage inside the current one. Maybe <% Include "Webpage2" %>

What do you think?

> I want to keep all the current features, but here are a few other I'd like:
>
> - Using the Session object to implement a login/password not based on
> .htaccess files.

I was also going to suggest this point, not only it uses HTTP
authentication with .htaccess, but it relies on system accounts, not
safe at all.

> - Being able to comment pages.
>
> - Gambas syntax highlighting.
>
> I plan in the future to embed a small http server into a component, so
> that a CGI script can be transformed in a full http server serving
> itself in one click. If I succeed (not sure...), debugging CGI scripts
> will be easy, and we will be able to run a local Gambas documentation
> server very easily!

Ideally, this would be the best solution. It would also consume much
less resources!