[Gambas-devel] gbmake. A drop-in replacement to automake

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Sep 6 05:34:20 CEST 2012

Le 06/09/2012 05:19, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Benoît Minisini
> <gambas at ...1...> wrote:

>>> Good idea, but the problem is code duplication between "gbmake" and the IDE.
>>>
>>> I suggest taking the code from the IDE instead of rewriting your own (or
>>> mix them if yours is better).
>>>

>> Yep. You tried to rewrite things already done by the IDE, but you didn't
>> do it correctly.
>>
>> You should make a list of all project management features you need (how
>> to clean a project, how to compile it...), and I will centralize all
>> these features into an IDE module that will be able to be shared by the
>> gambas make utility.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini

> For the moment there *will* be code duplication, but in the end, using
> gbmake over the available implementations will require much less code.

I think you don't understand : I don't want code duplication to save
lines of code. I don't want code duplication because you are doing
things incorrectly in gbmake. For example cleaning the project.

As the IDE packager won't disappear, we must find a way to *not*
duplicate features like that, otherwise it will be become a nightmare to
maintain.

So I proposed that all process that depends on the structure of the
project directory (which is *maintained* by the IDE) is put in a
specific module. Then that module will be shared between the IDE and the
gbmake project through a symbolic link.

> A few examples:
>
> I just finished the archlinux packaging module. If you take a look at
> the code the IDE uses to package it (more than 200 loc only to
> package, leaving dependency checks out), you will see a lot of
> "install" commands, conditionals that check what type of project we
> are dealing with, etc.
> With gbmake, we only need to execute 2 commands ("make" and "make
> install"). gbmake will itself check for dependencies (the package
> manager should do it, but if installed from source they have to be
> ignored), determine what type of project it is, and install the
> required files (this last part is not yet implemented, only basic
> installation")
> That 200 loc where reduced to just (fully abstracted) 80, *including
> dependency checks*.
>
> I'm planning the same with the debian part. There are more than 200
> loc *only* to build a deb package. gbmake can do that by just
> "debianizing" a temporary folder ("gbmake debianize" will customize
> the files under debian/* using data prom the proejct configuration)
> and running "debuild -b", even from a terminal.
>
> I don't think gbmake should depend on a module inside the IDE, because
> we are missing the fact that it can run without a gui.

This has no relation at all with GUI or not, and there is no dependency,
as we are sharing only source code! Once gbmake is compiled, it has no
dependency anymore on the IDE.

But then we are sure that when gbmake wants to clean a project, it does
it the good way. And if the cleaning process changes, the gbmake source
code is automatically updated.

> Besides, i'm
> trying to abstract specific code into separate modules, so that
> functions that deal with debian packages, for example, resides in a
> separate module that only gets called when needed (easier to code,
> easier to maintain).
>
>> I don't understand why you need two Makefiles. I imagine that the IDE
>> would automatically generate a Makefile file inside the source directory
>> with a configure script to detect that Gambas is installed. That way,
>> you just have to uncompress the Gambas source archive, run
>> './configure', 'make' and 'make install', and everything works as
>> expected. Is it what you have in mind?
>
> Makefile.1 was only included so that you can install the tool without
> much trouble. The other Makefile is a generic one, this should be put
> inside every project if you wish to run gbmake trough make, but that's
> optional. The configure script should *only* check if the gambas
> interpreter is installed, everything else is done automatically.

Again, I don't understand what you have in mind.

The configure script normally must check every dependency of the program
that is going to be compiled and installed. 'make' does the compilation,
and 'make install' does the installation.

And I guess that standard behaviour is expected by the Ubuntu automatic
compilation and packaging process?

> As i said on the first mail, that was just a proof of concept. I'm
> rewriting most of the packaging code (while still adding some missing
> features), but still using some parts of it. It will take some time to
> get it to work stable enough to be merged.
>
> I will send another source package once i finish the debian module, so
> those who want can play with it.

As for letting gbmake creating binary packages, ok. But again, the
packaging code in the IDE is not dependent on the GUI, and I don't
understand why you want to rewrite it, as AFAIK, it works. Why not just
sharing it and using it?

Benoît Minisini