[Gambas-devel] To Tobias : about gb.ncurses interface

tobi tobias at ...692...
Sat Jun 9 23:21:50 CEST 2012

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012, tobi wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2012, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > Le 04/06/2012 18:14, tobi a écrit :
> > >
> > > I cannot disagree to "strong" suggestions ;)
> > >
> > > In fact, splitting Color to Color and Pair is a good idea.
> > >
> > > I didn't concern much with the Color class yet. I remember to have read something about the
> > > [0..1000] arguments but I simply didn't recognise it (strange, because I wrote the code :)),
> > > will be done.
> > >
> > > So, the next thing - if I ever finish that NoDelay input mode - would be to implement controls. I
> > > have only some thoughts and half of a draft about that but it will likely turn the Window class into
> > > a container-only object, so, in the future, there will be no distinction (and yes, in the meantime,
> > > we can assume that borders are one character each)
> > >
> > > Screen.RepeatDelay is o.k., too.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tobi
> > >

> > I want to release 3.2 next week. If I can't, it will be at the end of
> > the month.
> >
> > Can you synchronize your development so that Gambas 3.2 has a clear
> > distinction between the stable part (whose interface should not change)
> > and the unstable part (controls, and maybe NoDelay) ?
> >
> > --
> > Benoît Minisini

> I don't think so but of couse, I will try.

I saw, you have "changed the version" but not already tagged in svn?

Please, don't wait for me with that. The differences in the debugger are overwhelming on the new
machine (migrated from 32 to 64 bits)... I could recently spot some strange debugging output from
gb.ncurses: on my older, slower machine, the limit is far earlier reached than here but I seriously
get entire stack frames smashed when *excessively* hitting non-ascii chars on my keyboard - don't
ask me why because the only stack buffer I am using in this case, if I see correctly, is written to
by the kernel and only used by ncurses. Since there are no concurrent threads, I'm out of ideas so
far and consequently must step through the code in greater detail... That's where the new
environment comes in - and, of course, the period of big tests at the end of the school year.
64 bit addresses only are really difficult to read if you're not used to ;) I can even hardly read
the assembly code here...

Sorry for the still unfinished interface, it must wait until 3.3 ;)

Regards,
Tobi