[Gambas-devel] No Rule to make Target

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...176...
Tue Jan 31 04:13:15 CET 2012

Hi Benoit,

It was on a fresh checkout that I got that error after running
./reconf-all; ./configure -C from the gambas project directory. Then again
after reverting back. This was why I recreated the gsl directory with the
make-component script.  So what am I missing?

2012/1/30 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>

> Le 31/01/2012 03:09, Randall Morgan a écrit :
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > I reverted back to 4431 and I get the same error I got when I checkout
> that
> > version "No Rule to make target 'all'. Stop" When make enters the gsl
> > directory.
> >
> > the first time around my solution was to delete the folder and recreate
> it
> > using the make-component script. So now I'd like to know how to solve
> this
> > error
> > correctly so I can compile the gsl component.
> >
> > Also, what is the proper compilation cycle for component development? Do
> > need to recompile gambas after each change or can I simply compile the
> > component?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Of course you must not delete anything by hand as soon as you are
> working in a subversion repository.
>
> Once you have checked out a gambas repository, you have to do a
> './reconf && ./configure -C' to create all the Makefiles.
>
> I suggest you start from scratch again (from a fresh checkout).
>
> Once Makefiles are generated, you just have to use "make" and "make
> install" in the gb.gsl directory.
>
> You have to frequently update your repository to get the last changes.
>
> And you have to run './reconf && ./configure -C' when an autoconf file
> (configure.ac) changes, and sometimes when an automake file
> (Makefile.am) changes. Sometimes it is not needed with Makefile.am
> changes, but I don't know why yet. :-)
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?