[Gambas-devel] Adding files to component projects

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...176...
Thu Feb 2 12:00:38 CET 2012

Thank you for the info.

I know I ask a lot of dumb questions but the day will come when I have this
all figured out. Then I hope to be an asset rather than a liability to your
project.

Randall

2012/2/2 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>

> Le 02/02/2012 11:39, Randall Morgan a écrit :
> > Good morning Benoit,
> >
> > I do have an understanding of autotools at a very high level.
> >
> > I understand that the Makefile contains rules for the files to be
> > compiled. But I have worked with only the simplest of makefiles, all
> > written by hand .  I did do a little research before asking this
> > question. I always try to locate the answers myself first. However, I do
> > not have a good grasp of the m4 scripting language or it's use in these
> > makefiles. I am also a bit paranoid of screwing something else up.... In
> > my mind a simple ./reconf should have done it as it looks to me like the
> > m4 scripts try to locate all the .c and .h files, and reconf runs
> > autoconf. But I did not get an object file, c_complex.o file, when I did
> > this. The only dependency on c_complex.c is in the main file's CLASSES
> > array. So what have I missed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Randall
> >

> You never modify Makefiles or any generated file. This is the job of
> autoconf and automake.
>
> What you must modify is the Makefile.am file. Each time you add a source
> file (*.c, *.cpp or *.h) you must add it to the list of sources files in
> the Makefile.am file, at the line beginning with "gb_gsl_la_SOURCES ="
>
> Then you must regenerate the files, either by running automake or doing
> a './reconf' in the 'gb.gsl' directory. The './reconf' is heavier, as it
> does everything from scratch, but you are sure that everything is
> correctly regenerated.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?