[Gambas-devel] My first attempts to extend GL and GLU components.

Laurent Carlier lordheavym at ...176...
Mon Jul 4 22:00:25 CEST 2011

2011/7/4 Tomek <tommyline at ...670...>

> Hello to all Hero Programmers!
> Since I got intersted in OpenGL programming in Gambas, I begun to search
> for source files and add some functions I felt I could use.
> I'm not a C programmer, I just understand some code, so using analogy I
> tried to attach Evaluators to GL. It works ok, but my question is if copying
> the array and then pointing to it is the only method to pass a pointer to
> the array from gambas to library? It slows down the process greatly. I would
> be really happy if someone could point me to some documentation about how
> the combination of Gambas and C works in components.
> I attach my files and chcnaged GL.c file, so you can evaluate them, little
> Bezier curve project and please don't be too harsh on me, I'm just a
> beginner :)
>
> Regards
> Tomek

Nice job!

Personnaly, i prefer working with patches (tips: svn diff > mypatch.diff),
Benoit prefers modified files.

Some quick comments:
- No need to implement double and float support, i"ve only added Float
datatype, but it use double internally (
http://gambasdoc.org/help/cat/datatypes) so the GL API show Gl.Map1f(), but
we use glMap1d()
- Associated glGets are already here (see GLinfo.c) , it seem you have
properly added the associated constants.
- Typos in the methods, the first letter of the variables must be in
uppercase ((target)i(u1)f -> (Target)i(U1)f)
- Gambas doesn't provide native C arrays support, so there is no other ways
to provide C arrays to GL functions. But i don't think it slow down so much
the code.
- Perhaps the interface of maps functions can be made easier for user, i
need to look at. Alsoe perhaps if Array sent to functions is too small, we
should zeroing missing bytes.
- Perhaps other things :-p

I hope we will see more work :-)

++