[Gambas-devel] potential for web-based, cross-platform GAMBAS applications

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Mon Aug 29 22:06:27 CEST 2011

On Monday 29 August 2011 14:48, Kevin Fishburne wrote:
> http://blog.chromium.org/2011/08/native-client-brings-sandboxed-
native.html
> If GAMBAS was made to work with it, any GAMBAS application could be run
> in a browser.

Well, "a browser" meaning Chrome, just like "a browser" with ActiveX and
XBAP effectively meant Internet Exploder.  I'm sure someone will write a
Firefox plugin and I'm sure the market penetration of that plugin will
easily reach 2 to 3% of the Firefox user base. Well, maybe more if they get
free Angry Birds out of it, but they already can play Angry Birds in HTML5.

Then you have the architecture issues (need ARM and x86 versions of your
code, in this case the Gambas interpreter), and the same infrastructure
issues you have with WebOS and Android, namely that there's no X server, so
you need to write an X-less form component for Gambas and strip the X
dependencies out of the other components.

It might actually be easier to make a gb.gtk3 based on gb.gtk, and use the
new Gtk3 HTML5 rendering back end:

http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/11/23/gtk3-vs-html5/

It's about as mature as NaCl is (basically, not at all) but someday it
might provide a nice migration path for Gtk apps, including those written
in Gambas, and provide some interesting possibilities for hybrid
web/desktop apps.

Rob