[Gambas-devel] 2-2.21.0: GTK/QT control grid resolution changed from previous stable releases

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jul 30 20:30:50 CEST 2010

> I noticed when moving some buttons and other controls that the snap
> positions no longer align to their old positions. It also appears that the
> default snap sizes of controls have changed. If I remember correctly, the
> old control and grid sizes were multiples of 7, and they now appear to be
> multiples of 8.
>
> Being obsessed with multiples of two (don't know if that's a common
> idiosyncrasy for programmers), I like the new change. However, it is
> something that may cause the hair to stand up on the backs of people who've
> already designed complex forms with dozens of controls, as it may compel
> them to do one of the following:
>
> 1) Increase the size of their forms and manually adjust every control's
> size and position to fit the new grid resolution. A one-time pain, but
> probably the better solution.
> 2) Manually preserve the old snap positions and sizes for edited and new
> controls by adjusting the control properties for width, height and x/y
> position. Not an easy mental feat using multiples of 7, so break out the
> calculator.
>
> I don't really have any clever suggestions here, but thought the change
> should be pointed out as a potential issue.
>
> -----
> Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
> www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
> e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...590... sales at ...590...
> phone: (770) 853-6271

The grid snap is equal to Desktop.Scale, which is proportional to the default
desktop font height. Change your font, and Desktop.Scale will change!

That way, windows automatically shrink or expand according to how big is your
font, which is usually what the final user expects. If you want a form to keep
its size whatever the font is, set the "(Scaled)" property in the IDE property
sheet.

Benoît Minisini