[Gambas-devel] gb3 Split() problem

Kadaitcha Man nospam.nospam.nospam at ...176...
Mon Jan 4 12:33:23 CET 2010

2010/1/4 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:
>> Gb3 does not correctly split when the separator is a "\r\n" combination:
>>
>>   Dim aText As String
>>   Dim bText As String
>>   Dim aLines As String[]
>>   Dim bLines As String[]
>>
>>   aText = File.Load("Text1")
>>   bText = Replace(aText, "\n", "\r\n")
>>
>>   aLines = Split(aText, "\n")
>>   bLines = Split(bText, "\r\n")
>>
>> The gb3 documentation states, "Separators is a list of sperators
>> characters",
>
> That means that both "\r" and "\n" are separator characters. Split() can only
> deal with one character separators.

But " \n" in the example is two characters; there is a space before
the \n and the documentation explicitly uses the plural for
separators, not the singular. It also refers to a "list", and a list
implies more than one.

> To split between "\r\n", you must write your own function.

I'm ok with that answer because I can deal with it in code, but what
you are saying is that "Separators is NOT a list of sperators [sic]
characters", but that the "Separator is a single character".

Is that correct?