[Gambas-devel] Good news!!

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 31 00:52:02 CET 2009

> Hi, Benoît & All:
>
> Days ago one friend call me to ask to
> by a judge in a scientific exposition, my surprise came when he told
> me that one of the projects was created with gambas by a couple of
> students. They made a system to turn lights on & off in a house.
> The use the LPT1 port to interact with the lights.
>
> They made it complete by themselves and
> they are 17 years old!!!!!
>
> I just wanted to share this news with
> you, I think is great that young people are using Gambas in my
> country (Costa Rica).
>
> This shows how easy-to-use and reliable
> gambas could be.
>
> The students are very exited because I
> told them I will share this news with all of you, if there is
> something you want me to tell them, just let me know.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> David.

I'm very happy with that.

When I started computing, there was a way for young people to quickly learn
programming their computer, because there was a BASIC and a manual for that.

Starting from scratch, we could learn progressively how to program and master
a computer.

Today, we have free software, we have the documentation too, but there are so
many complex things to learn that mastering a computer is almost impossible.

I remember that I met two young peoples five years ago that were exchanging
old versions of Turbo Pascal (or was it Delphi?) on floppy disks to be able to
make programs on Windows!

Now, how could we give access to all the things a modern free operating system
can do today, in the simplest way possible ?

I tried to give an answer with Gambas, even if that answer is not perfect.
Well I did that for fun too. :-)

But your story told me that I didn't completely fail!

Benoît Minisini