[Gambas-devel] V4L2 for Gambas ...

Ron_1st ronstk at ...124...
Thu Jan 22 10:31:07 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, Gareth Bult wrote:

> Splitting things down like this really isn't going to affect who can work on what, realistically
> this is handled by splitting your source up into different files ..
---8<
> However, rather than trying to add lots of different optional sub-properties to handle everything,
> I would far rather split VideoDevice down and have "WebCam", "VideoCamera" etc etc ... this would
> be KISS in action and this really would help multiple developers take on the different device types.

True, good points/suggestion to split on device instead kind of information.
Must say my bad here.

----8<----

Your points are good enough. The KISS can be used here in favorite.
Changes be future things if really need.

----8<----

> Incidentally .. can someone give me a practical example of why one might want to use the "stream" feature of "VideoDevice" on a webcam?  (before I add the code .. because I'm not sure I see the point ??)

My idea is to use two streems, and crop each frame in two halves
( as pictures) and merge from first the left and second the right
half (to new picture ) and present a new /dev/videoX for other
programs as source (using vloopback code for output).
This way i.e. KDTV can show in one instance both camera's.

In fact I would like to clip a region from each frame and create a
new frame ( video stream) with it.
For sequrity cams it is no problem if onece at a time a frame is
missing. It could be expand to 4 cams evt.
Sending out put to the video out if the graphica card has video out?

Also the result could be written to disk as video or timed snapshot picture(s).**

The reason I jumped in the tread?

It would be nice to have a programm that can mix video-device/pictures/avi-file
and present it as e new /dev/videoX for other programs.
Maybe using Gambas for this is to heavy, I realise there will be limits compared
to full C written code too.
I will, and maybe you to, be happy to have 2/4 cams in one viewer application in
first place.
Thats for me the reason to be interested in your work on the v4l part to improve
the basic done by Daniel Campos. I have to deal now with v4l and v4l2 interfaces.

Second thing:
I'm not good in startup C projects, missing the way how to do.
I need a basic (working) start template that I can expand to do the job I want.
Maybe your code could help me a lot.
(note to myself:I really need to look in svn soon)

**
I made this once in MS-Access VBA using the Hitachi MX850 as camera multiplexer.
and 6 hitache VX220E camera's (640/480)
Storing pictures when movements where detected on the camera pictures.
I do have the multiplexer but lost the rs232 module to stering it :(
and two of those cameras also.
We got two burglars and they where catched by police too:)
It was one of the projects I was really happy to make despite using the 'bad VBA'

Hope this explains enough and
Best regards,

Ron_1st