[Gambas-devel] v4l2 patch for gb.v4l

Gareth Bult gareth at ...623...
Fri Feb 20 12:37:44 CET 2009

Hi,

IMHO the v4l code in G2 won't actually work on many cameras, I would consider it more of a "demo" than the finished article .. certainly the Logitec camera's I've bought recently "all" only work on v4l2.
(I only have one camera for V4l testing which is ~ 5 years old)

If the patch works on G2, great, however v4l->v4l2 is significant and the chances of it introducing "issues" into what should be the "release" code might be "high".

I recall we did have a number of issues relating to memory leaks while getting this code going - I don't know how many of these were down to G3 development and how many were exposed / inherent issues ..

(if v4l2 is required in G2, it "might" be a better idea to back-port the new v4l2 code ??)

Gareth.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoît Minisini" <gambas at ...1...>
Sent: Friday, 20 February, 2009 11:08:14 AM GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
Subject: Re: [Gambas-devel] v4l2 patch for gb.v4l

> Erm, which version of Gambas is the patch against?
> (SVN already has full V4L2 support ... ????)

Hi, Gareth.

I didn't know about these libraries: libv4l1 and libv4l2. The guy who did them
apparently decided to face the same problems as you, but in a definitive way.
:-) Maybe it would be a good idea to use them directly in gb.v4l for Gambas 3?

As for Gambas 2, if the patch works, why not including it? But heavy
modifications should stay in Gambas 3.

Benoît

Gareth Bult (Gareth at ...624...)