[Gambas-devel] TextEdit (gb.qt.ext)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Dec 8 01:24:20 CET 2009

> 2009/12/7 Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...176...>:
> > It's a ritch text editor .... what is rich text ??? ... it's text with
> > formating capability
>
> "Rich-text" has a commonly understood meaning in the industry, which
> is not the same meaning as what you believe it means. TextEdit is a
> markup control, not a rich-text control. The use of the "rich-text"
> label has cost people a lot of time and it needs to be changed.
>
> > Not only the RTF format that is an old format !
>
> So is PostScript. The latest standard for rich-text is dated March
> 2008. Your point is?

"rich text" is a common name, it does not necessarily refer to the "Rich Text
Format" of Microsoft (which is not a real standard IMHO, as you can embed OLE
binary blobs inside. Consequently, you can easily make documents unsharable
between two different machines, even if they both run Windows).

If I type "rich text" in Google, I find first the wikipedia page on the "Rich
Text format", and then a page on "rich text editors" that talks about editors
embedded into HTML page to enter formatted text.

I used the term "rich text" in that last meaning, because Qt used that (Gtk+
used "Pango text markup language", but I made the Qt component before!).

I admit that "rich text" on Windows is a usual shortcut for "Rich Text
Format", but Gambas does not run on Windows, so allow me to use what I prefer!

The definition of "rich text" is already present in the wiki, but maybe a
warning about this confusion would be a good idea?

--
Benoît Minisini