[Gambas-devel] Background colors in QT4 + Comments on the toolkit

richard terry rterry at ...627...
Mon Dec 7 00:24:31 CET 2009

Interesting having played with this toolkit.

Maybe there is a way around this, but it suffers some of the same problems
that plagued the wxPython toolkit - which eventually drove me away from the
python/wxPython environment.

Example  - rendering of the lists there is a  internal 'waste of space' lost
in the white space around the line heights. As the font is reduced in a list,
the white space above/below the lines seems dis-proportionately large. I used
the screen ruler and a set of manifying loops to read it properly and  for
example on a 10 point font height, 25% of the line in a listbox is taken up by
whitespace. Maybe there is a desktop setting to change this?

Interestingly and I'm not a graphic person so I don't understand this, the
colors in qt4 are different to  qt3 on the same monitor - this sounds like an
add for a laundry detergent but the whites are whiter and the blue's bluer
etc.

Overall the effect of different rendering the colors and (perhaps but I havn't
looked at it in detail the controls/angles/edges) is a much harsher/cruder
looking gui-interface. I guess the solution is to tone-down the colors.

Regards

Richard