[Gambas-devel] Just a wild thought

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Apr 3 21:17:34 CEST 2009

> On Friday 03 April 2009 14:16, ottod wrote:
> > Many people reject the
> > idea of desktop apps, saying web apps is the way to go, but that at
> > least is contradictory, as the browser itself is a desktop app.
>
> The browser is more than a desktop app; I can write a web app in any one of
> dozens of server languages, including Gambas (though on the browser side I
> can use any language I like as long as it's Javascript) and have it work
> on a desktop, an ARM-based $150 netbook, an iPhone and a Wii, and if I'm
> careful, my 5-year-old freebie cell phone as well.  There is no other
> development language or framework for which that's true.  Except for
> hardware-intensive programs like DVD burners and higher-end games, and
> despite repeated attempts by Microsoft such as VBscript, ActiveX and
> Silverlight to make web apps require one particular operating system, I
> think that a majority of development will be web development in the next 5
> years -- if it's not true already.

I fully agree. I have plan (but not time) to bring more Web development
features to the Gambas IDE: support for ASP-like pages with syntax
highlighting; Some sort of Web controls (i.e. classes that generate
HTML/Javascript); An embedded http server, so that you can run your program in
the IDE, and immediately run a browser to debug it.

Benoît