[Gambas-devel] Some wierd gdb behaviour (I think)

Ron ron at ...572...
Mon Sep 22 21:49:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

Been trying to debug my program, because after adding some functionality
every now and then it crashes (gambas), before that it was rock stable.
But upgraded from 2.8.1 to 2.8.2 in the meantime also...

I compile and start my program like the website says, this is what I get:

-----------------
ron at ...218...:~/domotiga/DomotiGa$ gdb gbx2
GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) set args -p
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbx2 -p
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
[New Thread -1209992992 (LWP 8372)]
[New Thread -1231660112 (LWP 8376)]
[New Thread -1242149968 (LWP 8377)]
[Thread -1242149968 (zombie) exited]
[Thread -1231660112 (LWP 8376) exited]
[New Thread -1231660112 (LWP 8378)]
[New Thread -1242149968 (LWP 8379)]
[New Thread -1250542672 (LWP 8380)]
[Thread -1250542672 (zombie) exited]
[New Thread -1250542672 (LWP 8381)]
open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
Qt: gdb: -nograb added to command-line options.
         Use the -dograb option to enforce grabbing.
[New Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8385)]
[Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8385) exited]
[New Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8386)]
[Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8386) exited]
[New Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8390)]
[Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8390) exited]
[New Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8391)]
[Thread -1266635856 (LWP 8391) exited]
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
ron at ...218...:~/domotiga/DomotiGa$
--------

the first thing that worries me, are the 2 zombie threads in the
beginning, is this normal?

Then when I click a certain menu, which lanches a part of my program
which calls rrdtool to generate graphs (SHELL sRRDCmd2 WAIT) were
sRRDCmd2 is a large command string which calls rrdtool graph...

the gdb session gives Segmentation fault (core dumped)
ron at ...218...:~/domotiga/DomotiGa$
and the gdb session is closed, my program continues to run...

Is this normal? Because I started another program in the shell? My
gambas program still runs and functions ok after this...
What is wrong? This way I cannot debug my program without removing some
functionality first.
Did I overlook something?

Gambas 2.8.2 on Debian 4.0etch3

Wanted to run it as root, but it's a headless server, and cannot get X
to run remote for root... will have to look tomorrow...
Do you need to run it as root to get the debugging info (see the Failed
to read a valid object file image from memory. error)

Regards,
Ron_2nd