[Gambas-devel] gambas2-gb-gui dependencies

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...176...
Tue Mar 18 11:30:00 CET 2008

2008/3/18, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:

> On mardi 18 mars 2008, José Luis Redrejo wrote:
> > Hi, I'm about to upload the first applications made in gambas2 to
> Debian.
> > Before doing it I plan to upload version 2.3 and I have a remaining
> doubt
> > with the gb.gui component.
> >
> > This component has as depedencies gb.gtk or gb.qt, but I don't like that
> > dependencies, as the install applications will install the first one in
> the
> > list, no matter if you are a kde or gnome user.
> > I.e. if the dependency is gambas2-gb-qt|gambas2-gb-gtk it will always
> > install gambas2-gb-qt unless you have already installed gambas2-gb-gtk.
> >
> > I see four possible scenarios here:
> > - A kde user would like to install gb.qt
> > - A Gnome user would like to install gb.gtk
> > - A both desktops users would like to install gb.gtk & gb.qt
> > - Other desktops users would like to install gb.gtk as it's more used in
> > other desktops as xfce..
> >
> > gb.qt dependencies are (in Debian) : libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libqt3-mt (>=
> 3:
> > 3.3.8b), libsm6,  libx11-6, libxext6
> > gb.gtk dependencies are (iin Debian): libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0
> ),  libcairo2
> > (>= 1.4.0),  libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0),
> > libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.18.4)
> >
> > The best case would be install gb.gtk & gb.qt, and depending on the
> desktop
> > the application will start the right way, but that would make installing
> > bunch of not-needed qt libraries for Gnome users and a bunch of
> not-needed
> > gtk libraries for Kde users.
> >
> > I also thought of doing something like:
> > gb.gui depends on:
> > gambas2-gb-gtk (>= 2.0) | kdeaddon, gambas2-gb-qt | gnome-core,
> > gambas2-gb-gtk|gambas2-gb-qt
> > So, if you already have installed gnome-core (needed for gnome users) it
> > would install gb.gtk, and if you've already installed kdeaddon (needed
> for
> > kde users),  it would install gb.gtk. If you've not installed kdeaddon
> or
> > gnome-core it would install gb.qt. The problem here is that if you're a
> kde
> > & gnome user, it would install only gb.gtk and not gb.qt.
> >
> > So, I've arrived to a dead-end, and need more ideas and/or help from
> you.
> >
> > Regards.
> > José L.
>

> As I already told you before, components packages should not have
> dependencies
> on other components at all (except gambas2-runtime maybe). The
> dependencies
> are solved by the IDE that writes them inside the '.project' file of the
> project. (I should write that on the "How To Package Gambas" wiki page
> anyway).
>
> This is a solution, but then, Gambas projects that use gb.gui can't
> [...]

Not, there's now a discussion about implementing something similar, but
it's hard, as it would break automatic installation/upgrades and not all the
people are happy with the proposed solution.
So, as for today, I think that making the gb.gui package depending on gb.gtk&
gb.qt is the only safe solution...