[Gambas-devel] enhancing the debugger

Charlie Reinl Karl.Reinl at ...16...
Mon Sep 18 22:52:28 CEST 2006

Am Montag, den 18.09.2006, 19:09 +0200 schrieb Benoit Minisini:
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 22:54, Charlie Reinl wrote:
> > Salut Benoît,
> >
> > my idea is to show, after a DBclick on an Array in Debug.Local all
> > elements of this Array in a TabelView or so, like you said.
> >
> > After searching/debugging since 2 days, how can I get out informations
> > from the debugger about Objects, without string-analysing the code-file,
> > I need some hints from you.
> > I'v debugged 'Design' , but all what i'm able actually is using the '?'
> > to load them into the watch-window, my new added 's' to Command, ditn't
> > raise the Debug_read.
> >
> > What I need, are these 'special debugger commands' who prints all field
> > names of an object, etc.
> >
> > And how can I indentify an object (without string analysing).
> >
> > Amicalment
> > Charlie
> >

> Let's make a point on the debugger:
>
> * You can test it by running 'gbx' with the '-g' option in a terminal.
>
> * The commands are listed in an array at line 684 in the debug.c source file
> of the gb.debug component.

Oh, and I tryed to invent 's' and now I understand why my STOP doesn't
work.

> * There is a command named 'o' that displays the list of all symbols of the
> current object, static, non-static, public and privates.

If I use 'o' what are the meaning (till now I found) of S:s:D:d: s:
S: = Static PUBLIC
s: = Static (PRIVATE)
D: = PUBLIC Declaration
d: = Declaration (PRIVATE)

Is that right ? Are there something for CONST or some others further
more?

> * There is the need of a command that would do the same thing, but for any
> object.
>
> * You could display array contents just by playing with the '?' debugger
> command, by sending "?MyArray.Count" to get the length of the array, and by
> sending '?MyArray[xxx]' to get the value of the element #xxx.
>
> * But you couldn't do the same thing for collections. As there is only two
> data structures in Gambas, I could make a special command for getting the
> contents of array and collections by index, so that you can fill a TableView
> without having to get the entire array contents from the debugger.
>
> Do you think that with the following new commands:
> - Getting the name of the symbols of any object.
> - Getting the number of elements of an object (if it is an array or a
> collection)
> - Getting the n-th element of an object.
> - Getting the n-th key of a collection.
>
> ...you can do what you want?
>
> What would be cool is that selecting an expression displays a little window
> with the value of the expression, and if this expression is an object, an
> array or a collection, you can see the contents and double-click on it to get
> the value of an element, and so on recursively...
Dit you mean to replace the Baloon by the window ? And then, if possible
go further ?

> Regards,

So first I have to rewrite Debug_Read, because it is wired (l?!) to a
Table in DebugInfo

Amicalment
Charlie