[Gambas-devel] Inheritance broken in 1.9.42

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 16 17:52:56 CEST 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 15:44, Daniel Campos wrote:
> Hi:
> > It is a bug fix. 'Title' is not a property of the Control class. If you
> > need dynamic symbol matching, you must use the Object class. Otherwise,
> > symbol matching must be static, which was not always the case in previous
> > versions. This was fixed in 1.9.34.
>
> OK, I see, may be adding 'casting' would be useful... or may be it is
> too much for BASIC, what do you think?

Casting is automatic in Gambas. Just put your object reference in a variable
whose type is the type you want to cast to.

> > If you want us to start to make gb.gtk and gb.qt behave the same, I
> > suggest making a page on the wiki where I will put all implementation
> > details of gb.qt controls and where we can freeze this implementation.
> >
> > Are you agree?
>
> Sounds pretty good, the first thing I would like to finish is the Form
> class and the basic controls: button, label + textlabel, combo and
> listbox, and ensure that they work exactly the same than the qt ones.

OK. Let's go for: Button, Label, TextLabel, ComboBox, ListBox & Form.

> I already modified the button layout and just now I'm rewritting the
> "Picture" management for all controls that now share the pictures
> instead of making copies. BTW I found a bu with both gb.qt and gb.gtk:
> when using the QUIT method the program always finishes with a
> segfault.

I know, I must look at it.

> And the IDE seems to not really recompile the projects If
> they were made with a previous version, it just shows the message
> "Version too old please recompile" but I had to delete the .gambas
> folder by hand to refresh the project.

Actually, you must do "recompile all", not just recompile. And then it does
exactly what you did by hand: deleting .gambas and calling the compiler. :-)

> About the form class I think at this moment it just lacks two
> properties, you know at this moment a form can be put as "always on
> top", but I'd need two more properties:
>
> -> "always on bottom"

OK. I will replace the TopOnly propery by a Stack property that will take
three possible values: Window.Normal, Window.Top, Window.Bottom. Or something
like that...

> -> "show in all desktops"

I will try to do that.

> With those two properties I - and other people :-) - could write
> "desklets" without the problems of the current Python gDesklets:
> they're too heavy for little machines, they waste lots of memory. In
> fact I did that with API calls in the past for gb.gtk:
>
> http://danicafe.extreblog.com/200603263792_Tapitas-de-Gambas.html
>
> But it is just a X-Window feature that could be shared in both
> components or implemented with the GTK+ and QT features.

I will add them in the x11.c file of gb.qt, that you can use in gb.gtk if you
like. It follows the freedesktop specifications.

> That's all at this moment :-)
>
> Daniel

Thanks to kdewallet, here is the password of gambas-user-es mailing-list:
5e68bb8ff5b52e80.