[Gambas-devel] Events

Scott, Vince Vince.Scott at ...440...
Fri Sep 15 17:30:55 CEST 2006

Rob,

As always thanks for the quick reply and great information.

Yes the touchpad does work as a mouse and we are trying to get that work on Linux SuSE. It was simple in Windows to get working with a VB app.

If you could expose the Popup method would be awesome.

Again thanks for the info...it has been most helpful.

Vince

-----Original Message-----
From: gambas-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net on behalf of Rob
Sent: Fri 9/15/2006 10:04 AM
To: gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Gambas-devel] Events

On Friday 15 September 2006 10:19, Scott, Vince wrote:
> Can you send keyboard events in Gambas like you can with VB's
> Sendkey? Also, can you send events to a combo box to make it
> dropdown without using a mouse. I am working on a touch screen
> application in which no keyboard or mouse will be used...I
> need to send keyboard events via code.

Under Linux, the touchscreen is usually handled as a mouse.
That's how tablets work, like the one I'm typing this on.
There's a "wacom" module, and maybe an X11 driver, that takes
touchscreen input and converts it to mouse movements and clicks.
But I don't know whether that helps you in this situation.

Gambas has no SendKeys equivalent; that was one of the first
things I mentioned on the original help wiki's "Differences from
VB" page.  At the time, I was also looking for a way to send F4
to a combo box to make it drop down.  I never did find one.

Qt's QComboBox widget (which ComboBox is based on) does have a
popup() method which it should be pretty easy to expose in
Gambas.  Gtk's combo box has an identical method, so there
should be no concerns in adding that.  I'll see if I can build
the latest Gambas2 this weekend and submit a patch.

As for SendKeys itself, I'm not sure whether or not it's possible
in Qt or Gtk to do that, if it's something you can even do at
the toolkit level.  I'm not even sure how it works under
Windows, since it works even if you have other applications
focused (which was when I mostly used it.)  Maybe there's a way
to inject keyboard events into some global X11 queue, I don't
know.  I'm pretty sure they must have done it in VB at a lower
level than MFC.  In any case, it sure would be useful to have.

Rob