[Gambas-devel] Gambas 1.9.46 Help

Luca Germano lucagermano at ...255...
Tue Nov 14 12:31:43 CET 2006

Hi to all.
I'm using Gambas 1.9.46 on Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10 generic.
I have had a problem using Gambas Help. No help is shown after clik into ?
menu help or pressing F1.
Starting Gambas from console after pressing F1 button the following message
is shown:
"sh: file:///usr/local/share/gambas2/help/tree/index.html: No file or
directory "
Looking into Gambas source code I find a possible reason of this malfunction
into the function
"CheckProgram" at line 3073 of ProjectModule.
This function try to check if a specified browser is installed using shell
command "which". On Ubuntu this command not return "which:" with the
installation path of the browser but only the installation path or the NULL
string if the browser is not installed. To avoid this I change the check in
this manner
bError = Trim(File.Load(sTemp)) LIKE ""
With this new check the Gambas Help works fine.
The problem now is to check if on other Linux distribution the shell command
"which" works in the same manner as on Ubuntu.
It would be nice also that in case of no browser available on the machine,
an error message reports the need of a browser to use Gambas Help.

Best regards,
Luca