[Gambas-devel] Build a Component

Scott, Vince Vince.Scott at ...440...
Fri Mar 17 19:56:57 CET 2006

Thanks. I'm having a difficult time getting the 1.9.26 to compile.
First, I get a make error... it doesn't like the parameter -fvisibility.
Second, I am new to the Linux world and I am not that comfortable with
the file system and where things get put or pulled from...so I am not
sure if I have all the libraries required. I was able to compile 1.0.14
without any issues. Can both of these exist and run on the same machine?

What I am really trying to do or would like to do is from the "stable"
version make calls to C libraries. I wanted to write a component to do
this and I was lead the gb.api to see how this might have been
accomplish but is no longer part of the 1.9 files...so I am kind of lost
as how I need to go about this. Our company is moving to Linux and we
would really like to use Gambas as a GUI tool but need to make calls to
business logic in 'C' libraries.

Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your help.
Vince

-----Original Message-----
From: gambas-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Rob Kudla
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 12:44 PM
To: gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Gambas-devel] Build a Component

On Fri March 17 2006 11:51, Scott, Vince wrote:
> What is the big difference between 1.0.14 and the 1.9? What is
> the development path.

1.0.14 is "stable".  It's missing a lot of components and
functionality (like the external API stuff) that the 1.9 series
is.  On the other hand, 1.0.x is a lot less likely to crash and
new versions of the compiler/interpreter should not break your
projects, just fix bugs.

You can think of the 1.9 series as alpha releases leading up to a
2.0 beta cycle.

Rob

language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
territory!