[Gambas-devel] Gambas 2 roadmap

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jul 3 13:25:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

Here is a kind of roadmap for Gambas 2.

This is a list of tasks, with short comments on their difficulty.

All tasks in the 'Before 2.0' sections are the tasks I'd like to have for the
2.0 release.

The other tasks can be added after without problems (for a 2.2 version for
example).

The SDL and OpenGL parts depends on the work of Laurent Carlier. Tell me about
that Laurent! :-)

The GTK+ work may be done by Daniel Campos or another people from gnuLinex, or
not.

The current Workspace class may be replaced by the one made by Fabien Bodard,
if it is stable :-) and can do at least the same things. I didn't look at it
yet.

The "import vb" project feature made by Rob Kudla should be replaced by an
external tool I think. The IDE should be able just to import a vb form, but
that's all. What do you think Rob? Do you use it again? Do you plan to update
it?

Otherwise, the bigger invisible change in the IDE that must be done is the
redesign of *.component files, and the move of their interpretation in a
dedicated component (gb.info).

I plan to make interpreter error messages translatable (and maybe compiler
error messages too). Do you think it is necessary?

I think the more important after all these tasks is the 64 bits port. This
will need to break a lot of things, so I prefer to make the 2.0 before.

I can't estimate the date of the release at the moment, as I don't know how my
life will be since September. I hope to be paid for working on Gambas next
year, and so some tasks may become more important than others. I will tell
more soon.

I want to redesign the web site too. I'd like to know if I can use freely the
new 3D mascot made by Marcos Morales, and if he can make more picture and
animations with them (for replacing the current moing mascot in the IDE for
example).

Lastly, the longer task keeps being the documentation... It would be cool if
people making components could document them a little :-)

Well, I think that's all... Tell me if I forget something!