[Gambas-devel] New project directory format

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at ...20...
Wed Aug 9 14:05:46 CEST 2006

Hi,

The project directory format has evolved until the point that the archiver has
became full of arbitrary rules when deciding which file/directory goes in the
archive, and which does not. And finally we got the "create project" dialog
bug recently.

I think some cleanup should be done, but then old projects will need to be
translated to the new format.

Here is what I propose. Tell me what you think, if you have better ideas, and
so on...

1) All directories and files in the root of the project directory beginning
with a dot or an underscore are reserved. All other directories and files are
part of the project data.

2) All source files now go inside a directory named "_sources".

3) All compiled files go inside a directory named ".gambas".

4) All translation files go inside a directory named ".lang".

5) All icon files generated by the package maker go inside a directory named
".icon".

6) The project configuration file is now named "_project" and not ".project"
anymore.

7) The "_project" file will have the same syntax as files created by the
Settings class.

8) A ".startup" file will be created from the "_project" file. It will include
all information needed by the interpreter to run the project is a compact
form.

9) A ".info" and ".list" files are created by the compiler that includes
information about exported class.

10) When making an executable, all files and directories are included, except:
_sources, .lang/*.po, .lang/*.pot, all CVS directories, all other files and
directories beginning with a dot except ".gambas", ".startup", ".info" and
".list".