[Gambas-devel] Release of gambas2-1.9.4

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Mar 23 14:20:28 CET 2005

At least, here is a new release of gambas development version!

The source package has been completely reorganized. Now, almost each component
has its own source sub-package independent from the others.

This has two drawbacks: the source package is bigger (more than 7 Mb), and is
slower to compile. Use ./configure -C to speed-up the configure process a
little bit.

Components now can be written in Gambas too: look in the comp directory for
the gb.settings component.

GTK+, SDL and ODBC components has been updated. Andrea, I added your name to
the hall of fame!

Read the ChangeLog for more details...

HOW TO MAKE COMPONENTS WRITTEN IN GAMBAS ?

The IDE has no complete support for writing components at the moment.

Just create a normal project with the IDE, and add the 'EXPORT' keyword at the
beginning of the classes that will be exported by the component.

You can create a startup class/module to help debugging your component.

Then, when the project is compiled, an '.info' and a '.list' files are created
in the project directory.

To install the component:

1) Make an executable, and copy it into the gambas component directory
(/usr/local/lib/gambas2 by default). Give the executable the name of the
component followed by the '.gambas' extension. You must be root.

2) Copy the '.info' and '.list' files into the gambas information directory
(/usr/local/share/gambas2/info by default). Rename them by adding the
component name at their beginning.

3) Create a .component file with all needed information in it, and copy it
into the gambas component directory.

For example, look at the 'gb.settings' project in the 'comp' source directory:
you will find a gb.settings.component inside the project, and in the
Makefile.am, you will find directives for installing the 'gb.settings'
executable, the .info file, the .list files and the component file.

WHAT ARE THE CHANGES FOR COMPONENT DEVELOPERS ?

They must merge their own sources with those including in this release, so
that they have the same organization.

In the Makefile.am, the $(pkg*) variables must be replaced by $(gb*)
variables.

A component source directory is a complete autoconf package now: developers
should read the autoconf manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.pdf

For example, the changelog file is required, must be named 'ChangeLog' and is
located in the root directory of the component sources.

Actually, developers just have to work with the 'src' subdirectory of the
component package.

Some components need some include files for other components. Look in
'gb.qt.kde' to see how I deal with that. You will see some 'gambas.h' in the
root directory, and a 'share' subdirectory that contains other include files.
These files are not copies on my own machine, they are symbolic links to the
real files.

If a developer need to share an include file between two component sources
packages, tell me, and I will create the needed symbolic links on my machine.

Can anybody tell me if CVS behaves correctly with symbolic links ?

Note that the .component file format will change in the future.

TRY IT!

I hope I didn't break too many things... :-)

mailto:gambas at ...1...