[Gambas-devel] Re: Gambas and Visual Basic

Bodard Fabien gambasfr at ...4...
Mon Mar 14 14:02:07 CET 2005

Le lundi 14 Mars 2005 12:41, Benoit Minisini a écrit :
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 23:16, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.
> > Could we get the discussion moving again?]
>
> I thought we could continue the discussion on the devel mailing-list of
> Gambas, as many other people already use Gambas for translating
> Visual-Basic projects, and so may have better ideas than mine.
>
> >     I think the better way to start such a huge thing is writing a VB
> >     project -> Gambas project translator, by implementing a few needed
> >     features directly in Gambas (like paramater passed by reference),
> >     and all other VB specific stuff in a component. The translator
> >     will tell wich lines of code can have some problems.
> >
> > Would you like to write a file describing your ideas for how to do
> > this?  That would help recruit people to do the work.
>
> I sent you in a last mail an OpenOffice document which describes the way I
> think it is possible to use Gambas for translating VB projects. Was it too
> short ?
>
> As I tried to say before, directly compiling VB source code in Gambas,
> Java, or any other bytecode does not solve the big problems: calls to
> external Windows DLLs, use of ActiveX controls and objects, use of ActiveX
> automation. That is the important things people using VB need to translate!
>
> Regards,

I've something to say... i think directly use a compiler for translate a vb
programme is not a good idea ... just for the reason that vb is now an old
privacy language.. and may be not maintained by his own .. who prefer
now .net version.

But some vb to gambas traducer are better option ... with a native windows
compiler. if rms know someone to do this stuff ?
I know vb is a standart but is not free . Gambas is free but is not actually a
standart. Why not make gambas a free standart, that look like vb but that is
not vb.

In a near time vb6 program's can't run on new m$ systems... no ?

Fabien Bodard