[Gambas-devel] New GTK+ features

Daniel Campos daniel.campos at ...103...
Fri Mar 4 22:14:25 CET 2005

>A few remarks:
>
>* This feature is not included in the standard qt library, and that it is an
>X11 only feature.

Yes, this won't be available for a native Windows version, for
example... another
reason to use Linux and *BSD :-))).

Some #ifdefs can help to compile it on Windows or framebuffer systems.

>* You should use GB.Alloc(), GB.Realloc() and GB.Free() instead of malloc(),
>realloc() and free(). This way, you can easily debug memory leaks.

All files that begin with "g" will be part of a stand-alone library for
C++ in the
future, that's why I do not use GB.Alloc() in these files, and to free
that memory
in the interface  files (those which begin with "C").

However... yes, I'll write a wrapper for malloc, realloc and free, and
probably
They'll just call to GB.Alloc and GB.Free when using Gambas and another
functions
when beeing alone (some #ifdefs...)

>As, in the future, the IDE will be able to manage different types of form
>(Form, WebForm, ReportForm, ...), wouldn't it be possible to make a class
>named "Plugin", like "Form", that would inherit "Window", instead of one
>extra argument to Window constructor ?

Mmmhh... I don't know, one of the advantages of using the same "Form"
class is
that you can use the application both as a plugin or as an stand-alone
application,
for example some Mandrake control centrel apps do it.

>Shouldn't the "Plugin" widget named something like "Plugger" instead ? If I
>understand well what is plugged in what of course :-)

Yes, of course, fixed!

>I tried them. The focus behaves strangely. It works, but sometimes I don't see
>the mouse, or the focus rectangle. Strange...

I didn't found these problems... what X server are you using?

>I saw by using these examples that message boxes are not modal. This is a
>problem, they must be!

Well, they are modal but just for the plugin! . As they are two separate
applications,
there's no way to make all modal, unless the programmer writes some
communication
code between both apps... or may be in the future Gambas could do it
internally if a sort of "Gambas
communications system" is written.

Regards,

D. Campos