[Gambas-devel] Gambas on Cygwin

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jan 19 10:48:23 CET 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 18:06, Brandon Bergren wrote:
> --A note about the rest of this mail--
> Ok, with this mail, please ASSUME gb.form is the root of all gui stuff for
> my entire email here. I'm still kinda confused about the current layout of
> components. Keep in mind I haven't ever actually USED a fully working copy
> of
> gambas (like with the form designer and all), so if I'm saying something
> really stupid here, please tell me nicely what all this stuff is really
> called, from the user's perspective.  All my concerns are about
> being able to make native ports to other systems, in an abstract way, like
> JAVA's AWT. It's like being farsighted.

> ----my main point-----
> The thing I wanted to make sure of was that gb.form should be able to be
> driven by all gb.*.form components. So if somebody codes for gb.form, they
> don't need to worry about what the users use as the toolkit or platform.

gb.form is not for abstracting X11, other libraries, or any platform. It is a
way to implement routines that are common to gb.form.qt and gb.form.gtk. In
these routines, there are some X11 specific stuff, because of missing
features in qt 3. Maybe they are unneeded in gtk, I don't know. On windows, a
simple #ifdef/#else/#endif will help to implement platform-specific code.

At the moment, there are only gb.qt and gb.gtk. If someone implements another
toolkit, -from the beginning to the end-, we may think about another
structure. Now, it is too early I think :-)

mailto:gambas at ...1...