[Gambas-devel] Gambas component queries

Srikanta Prasanna srikantux at ...176...
Tue Jan 18 11:27:37 CET 2005

Hi!
Thanks for replying!
(comments below)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:58:21 -0500, Rob <sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean, but I was able to just use
> GB.ReturnInteger, etc. without declaring anything special (I
> just copied the old sdl component over to a new directory and
> moved all the sdl stuff.... with all the recent changes to the
> sdl component you may want to start from a smaller one, like my
> own pcre one.)
Thanks!  I went thru the pcre one. And after most of the doubts being chased
away from my mind, new ones are popping up, which i'll again mail about :-)
And I found Posix component to be more simpler to understand :)
One thing I observed was that you had used CREGEXP object in pcre, and
no such object declaration in posix. The declaration of this object
(which starts with a GB_BASE ob) is solely based on the components
internal needs, isn't it?

> > And finally, what are event-loops ?
>
> An event loop is the main loop of any interactive program (and
> many non-interactive programs).  It is the loop in which the
> program waits for input from a variety of sources (mouse clicks,
> key presses, network activity, etc.), processes them, and then
> goes back to waiting.  Toolkits that can generate events from
> user input generally have their own event loop, and you can only
> use one such toolkit in a given program, which is why the Gtk
> and Qt components in Gambas can't be used at the same time.
So, all the events (mouse clicks, etc) are received by Gambas itself
and our appropriate methods (which we register with Gambas) are
invoked by Gambas at runtime whenever it receives any event.
Am I correct?

> Thanks for taking a stab at ImageMagick, and I hope I can provide
> whatever help you need since you will be making my life a lot
> easier ;)
Thanks to you too, Rob !! :-)

cheers,
srikanta